Interlibrary Loan (ILL) & Document Delivery
Contact: Information Desk (509) 375-3268
- Fees for standard Interlibrary Loan requests have been eliminated.
- External costs for RUSH / Document Delivery requests will continue to be charged to the requester and will require a charge code.
Technical Library (TL) staff have expertise in obtaining books, journal articles, technical reports, conference proceedings, and dissertations from other libraries or document delivery vendors worldwide. These services are provided in accordance with copyright laws and guidelines and are for work-related purposes.
Every attempt will be made to provide requested items for PNNL Staff in an electronic format. If the requester prefers paper copies, that should be noted on the request. The item will be delivered to the requester in the format provided by the supplier; copyright guidelines do not allow us to alter the format.
To place a request do one of the following:
Check the Technical Library's website/tools before ordering materials to make sure the library doesn't already provide what you want.
PNNL staff have a choice of request and delivery options:
- INTERLIBRARY LOAN. These requests will be sent to other libraries. 97% of the time, requests for articles are filled in three business days or less. In some cases, however, it can take up to two weeks for a request to be filled.
[Note: If the citation for the item you have requested is incorrect and requires more than 15 minutes to research and retrieve the accurate information, the research librarian working on your citation will ask you for a charge code. If multiple requests, i.e., citations, are sent at once, e.g. on a list, a charge code will be requested to check the citations for accuracy and/or correct the citations before the list is sent to the Interlibrary loan team for processing.]
Interlibrary loan books and reports often have brief loan periods and only 50% of the lending libraries allow renewals. Upon request, TL staff will attempt to obtain renewals for items borrowed from another library. Please advise staff IN ADVANCE of the item's due date that a renewal is desired.
- RUSH / DOCUMENT DELIVERY. These requests will be sent to commercial providers. Requests are often filled within 24 hours. The costs charged by the provider will be passed on to the requester. The requester must provide the Technical Library with a charge code at the time the request is placed. The costs include:
- the full copyright fee, which can range from $0 to $75.00 or more;
- the provider's basic fee, which usually ranges from $13.00 to $16.00 per item, and any rush fee assessed by the provider.